Fuel Efficient Driver Training
On Thursday the 22nd of June 6 participants took part in fuel efficient driver training organised by Lochaber Environmental Group. The 6 participants all regularly drive a variety of vehicles including a work minibus, rally car, a V8 range rover and a small hatchback. Participants were taken out for two short drives, the first one driving how they would normally drive. After returning from their first outing the driving instructor then coached participants through their second drive on the same route providing advice and instructions on how to reduce fuel consumption. All 6 participants reduced their fuel consumption between the two drives.
Local Nevis Radio Manager and presenter Simon Abberley was one of those who took part in the training. He said ‘Regardless of your car all the skills could easily be transferred’. From the training he was made more aware of the impact increasing his brake distance had on his mpg.
Here are some of our top tips for driving more fuel efficiently:
- Switch off your engine when stationary for more than a minute
- Use a higher gear- Driving at lower revs reduces fuel consumption so change up a gear at around 2,000RPM
- Drive Smoothly – Assess the road ahead as much as possible to avoid unnecessary braking and acceleration, which increases the amount of fuel you use
- Slow Down-Your fuel costs will increase the faster you drive so keep speeds reasonable
- Window vs air conditioning – If you are travelling at low speed opening the windows is more efficient. If travelling at 60 miles per hour or above, closing the windows and using the air con will save you more.
- Tyre Pressures-Under inflated tyres increase your fuel consumption and can be dangerous on the road so check them once a month and before long journeys
- Roof racks/boxes- Having these attached to your car when they’re not being used will increase drag and increase your fuel costs
- Lighten your load- Remove excess items from your car before travelling to reduce weight.
If you are interested in participating in fuel efficient driver training in the future please let us know as we may be able to organize another free training day.