What We Do
Lochaber Environmental Group works to preserve, conserve, and restore the environment of Lochaber for the benefit of the local communities as we transition to a low carbon economy. We help to advance the knowledge of Lochaber residents in the study of the environment and sustainability, facilitating training, and sharing advice & information. LEG is a registered Scottish Charity and a Company Limited by Guarantee. Please see the Current Projects page for more information about our Climate Challenge Funded project Low Carbon Lochaber, the Bike Kitchen, the Fort William ebike Share Scheme and Food Lochaber.
In response to the climate and ecological crisis we are working to promote environmental awareness and the transition to a Low Carbon Lochaber through training, workshops and events:
- The Bike Kitchen – Promoting Active Travel, restoring bikes for our Adopt A Bike scheme, running bike maintenance and repair workshops to help you keep your bike on the road.
- Electric Bike Share Scheme – Delivering a public ebike share scheme in Fort William with up to 80 ebikes and ten ebike charging stations.
- Bike Library and Guided E-Bike rides – LEG has five E bikes (Trek Powerfly 4, Raleigh Motus (x2), Trek Verve, Raleigh Centros) and a low-step Raleigh Pioneer bike that are available for individuals and businesses to borrow free of charge for a day, a week or two, or more…..
- Bike Tool Library – Based in the new Bike Kitchen Shed, with a great selection of bike tools for everyone to borrow free of charge.
- Cycling Infrastructure in Glen Nevis – Improving the cycling infrastructure in Glen Nevis, building a new shed for the Bike Kitchen, and promoting the use of electric bikes with guided ebike rides and repair workshops.
- Food Lochaber– Stimulating the production and consumption of local food in Lochaber with a marketplace connecting residents with local producers who employ sustainable traditional crofting practices and organic principles. Order your box of locally sourced produce from the Food Lochaber Shop Here. Order cycles are fortnightly with orders ready to collect on Thursdays.
- Home composting – Advice, information, and free composting kits to help you to start composting at home, recycling your garden and food waste.
- Household Energy Surveys – Free household energy surveys to help residents lower their energy bills and use energy more efficiently.
- Electric Vehicles and Electric Vehicle Road Show – Advice on EV models, funding, and loans available for private buyers and businesses.
- Carbon Literacy Training – Lochaber Environmental Group can deliver the award-winning, Carbon Literacy by Communities one-day certificated training.
- School visits – We offer school visits on topics on request or we can provide a series of classes that we have made on understanding the sustainability of different materials and energy, food and transport choices.
- Businesses – We offer businesses advice & surveys on energy efficiency, waste minimization, and active travel.
You can also Follow Us on Facebook