What We Do
Lochaber Environmental Group works to preserve, conserve, and restore the environment of Lochaber for the benefit of the local communities as we transition to a low carbon economy. We help to advance the knowledge of Lochaber residents in the study of the environment and sustainability, facilitating training, and sharing advice & information. LEG is a registered Scottish Charity and a Company Limited by Guarantee. Please see the Current Projects page for more information about our Climate Challenge Funded project Low Carbon Lochaber, the Bike Kitchen, Cycling Infrastructure in Glen Nevis and Food Lochaber.
In response to the climate and ecological crisis we are working to promote environmental awareness and the transition to a Low Carbon Lochaber through training, workshops and events:
- The Bike Kitchen – Promoting Active Travel, bike maintenance and repair Fix Your Own Bike workshops, to help you keep your bike on the road.
- Bike Library and Guided E-Bike rides – LEG has three E bikes (Trek Powerfly 4, Raleigh Motus, Trek Verve) and a low-step Raleigh Pioneer bike that are available for individuals and businesses to borrow free of charge for a day, a week or two, or more….. We will continue to add bikes to the library and we are developing a Bike Tool Library in our new Bike Kitchen Shed – watch this space.
- Cycling Infrastructure in Glen Nevis – With funding from Cycling Scotland LEG is improving the cycling infrastructure in Glen Nevis, building a new shed for the Bike Kitchen, and promoting the use of electric bikes with guided E bike rides and repair workshops.
- Food Lochaber– stimulating the production and consumption of local food in Lochaber with a marketplace connecting residents with local producers who employ sustainable traditional crofting practices and organic principles. Order your box of locally sourced produce from the Food Lochaber Shop Here. Order cycles are now weekly with delivery on Thursdays.
- Growing Workshops – Join one of our popular growing workshops to sow seeds and learn how to plant and harvest potatoes in lazybeds.
- Home composting – Composting workshops, advice, information, and free composting kits to help you to start composting at home, recycling your garden and food waste.
- Household Energy Surveys – Free household energy surveys to help residents lower their energy bills and use energy more efficiently.
- Electric Vehicles and Electric Vehicle Road Show – Advice on EV models, funding, and loans available for private buyers and businesses.
- Carbon Literacy Training – Lochaber Environmental Group can deliver the award-winning, Carbon Literacy by Communities one-day certificated training.
- School visits – We offer school visits on topics on request or we can provide a series of classes that we have made on understanding the sustainability of different materials and energy, food and transport choices.
- Businesses – We offer businesses advice & surveys on energy efficiency, waste minimization, and active travel.
You can also Follow Us on Facebook