What We Do
Lochaber Environmental Group’s aim is to work to preserve, conserve, and restore the environment of Lochaber for the benefit of the local communities. We also work to advance the education of Lochaber residents in the study of the environment and of waste management, facilitating training, and sharing advice & information. LEG is a registered Scottish Charity and a Company Limited by Guarantee. We run various projects throughout Lochaber, please see the Current Projects page for more information about our Climate Challenge Funded project Low Carbon Lochaber, the Bike Kitchen, Cycling Infrastructure in Glen Nevis and Food Lochaber.
In response to the climate and ecological crisis we are working to promote environmental awareness and the transition to a Low Carbon Lochaber through training, workshops and events:
- The Bike Kitchen – Promoting Active Travel, bike maintenance and repair Fix Your Own Bike workshops, to help you keep your bike on the road.
- Bike Library and Guided E-Bike rides – LEG has a Trek Powerfly 4 electric bike, funded by the Energy Savings Trust, and a step-through Raleigh bike. The bikes are available for individuals and businesses to borrow free of charge for a day, a week or two….. We will be adding more bikes to the library and developing a Bike Tool Library in our new Bike Kitchen Shed – watch this space.
- Cycling Infrastructure in Glen Nevis – With funding from Cycling Scotland LEG is improving the cycling infrastructure in Glen Nevis and promoting the use of electric bikes in Lochaber and Glen Nevis.
- Food Lochaber– stimulating the production and consumption of local food in Lochaber with a marketplace connecting residents with local producers who employ sustainable traditional crofting practices and organic principles. Order your box of locally sourced produce from the Food Lochaber Shop Here
- Growing Workshops – Join one of our popular growing workshops to sow seeds and learn how to plant and harvest potatoes in lazybeds.
- Home composting – Composting workshops, advice, information, and free composting kits to help you to start composting at home, recycling your garden and food waste.
- Household Energy Surveys – Free household energy surveys to help residents lower their energy bills and use energy more efficiently.
- Bike Infrastructure Improvement – improving cycling infrastructure in Glen Nevis with funding from Cycling Scotland.
- Electric Vehicles and Electric Vehicle Road Show – Advice on EV models, funding, and loans available for private buyers and businesses.
- Wildlife habitat restoration and litter picking on the NCN78 in Fort William funded by Sustrans.
- School visits – We offer school visits on topics on request or we can provide a series of classes that we have made on understanding the sustainability of different materials and energy
- Businesses – We offer businesses advice & surveys on energy efficiency and waste minimization.
- Carbon Literacy Training – Lochaber Environmental Group can deliver the award-winning, Carbon Literacy by Communities one-day certificated training.
You can also Follow Us on Facebook